Situated at Lake McDonald’s south end, Apgar was a small community contained within Flathead County. Named for the Apgar family, the settlement arose in 1895 when Dimon Apgar logged the area’s heavy forests and created a road from Belton to Lake McDonald. 

Impressed with the location, Dimon settled here with his young family. In 1913, Jessie Apgar opened the first post office which operated until 1930 and then briefly again between 1942 and 1944.

Photo Gallery