The town’s name came from the name of the creek it sits on. The banks are lined with Box Elder trees, thus the name. At the end of the 1880s, the railroad moved 40 families from Ohio to settle the area.
They didn’t last long and after the hot dry summers of 1889 and 1890, only two families remained. Today the town is the headquarters for the Rocky Boy Reservation.